Wednesday, October 21, 2009

New Header And Dodsworth

As much as the mishmosh of images the header is I think it's time for something else. So at some point in the next week or so expect a new header. I may change it on occasion. Who knows. But a new one is needed.


On a side note, tonight on TCM one of my favorite celebs, Dennis Miller, is the guest programmer. His picks include William Wyler's 'Dodsworth', Carol Reed's brilliant 'The Third Man', Alfred Hitchcock's 'Suspicion', and 'Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House' with Cary Grant.

'The Third Man' is hands down one of the best films ever made. Anything by Hitchcock is a must see. However, I had not seen the William Wyler film 'Dodsworth' before so I gave it a go round and boy was this a pleasant surprise. Walter Huston plays Sam Dodsworth, a man in the car business who is retiring in his middle age. His much younger wife is struggling with the thought of getting older. The sign of retirement makes her feel old and she wants to escape her small town roots by going to Europe and pretend to be sophisticated. So far as to convincing Sam they need to dress up for dinner. Only to find people are a bit more casually dressed. Their relationship is sketchy as Sam tries to enjoy where he is in life and Ruth (his wife played by Ruth Chatterton) is trying to get away from her's. The film is an absolute joy and has a very hardened truth about life and relationships. It even has one scene that made me want to applaud. A great film that I am so thankful I got to see.

No comments: