Thursday, December 3, 2009

Movie Of The Day - The Terminator

The Terminator (1984) d: James Cameron



Director James Cameron sure did make a splash with this film. Making it for only $6.5 million he proved that he knew how to stretch a dollar. More importantly he knew how to tell a story. I have been a huge fan of his ever since I saw this film back in 1985 (on video). I was completely blown away. It was one of those times I knew I was watching a movie made by someone I needed to keep an eye on. I personally have drawn much influence from James Cameron in my own directing style and approach to storytelling. From time to time I always like going back and watching this film. In many ways it is the most raw of all of his films. Probably because it was so low budget that he was involved in every aspect. Also because a young filmmaker needed to prove to the world that he was a force to be reckoned with. He did.


4 comments:

Jerry said...

Great movie.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

This is one of my favourite movies in the world! =D

I've made friends and family watch it with me, and use the original score (particularly the main theme) to perk myself up when I'm feeling down! =P

Ah, I've just hummed some of the bars . . . Despite the dark setting and all the "tech noir," it's really a very optimistic movie, isn't it?

Alicia Gregoire said...

Great movie. And I'm long overdue to watch it again. Thanks for reminding me!

Gory said...

That is a great point. Actually all of Cameron's films are very optimistic. Even Aliens which is very dark does have an optimistic message in the characters of Ripley and Newt and even Bishop.

I hadn't watched this in a little while and I really needed it. Especially after the Sundance rejection. Just needed a little boost and watching filmmaker's early films usually works for me. And what better example of an early work knocking it out of the park than The Terminator.