Thursday, March 31, 2011

Movie Of The Day - Stand by Me

STAND BY ME (1986) d: Rob Reiner

"I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"

Maybe it was just a coincidence but I first saw 'Stand by Me' when I was 12 so I think it sort of struck a cord with me that was deeper than just the experience of watching a great film which this is. Before moving to Chicago I lived in Connecticut. I was there for those formative years where you start to figure out who you are and where friendships run deep. We ended up moving away a few weeks after I turned 12 after I had the best summer of my life. I was surrounded by friends and we just had fun. We enjoyed life and experienced a sort of simple joy. This was broken after I left and it actually took me several years to bounce back from. I felt alone for a very long time. It was during this time that I took my love of movies to a new level as, in a way, the movies became my new friends. I guess everything happens for a reason.

The story of four friends taking a trip to seek out the body of a dead classmate hit by a train 'Stand By Me' features standout performances by the the young Wil Wheaton, Corey Feldman, Jerry O'Connell, and the late River Phoenix. Their journey is filled with so many great and touching moments. It's that key moment as boys slowly enter the next phase of life from being boys to young men. Every time I watch the film I am just amazed by it. And watching it at different stages of my life it takes on a different meaning for me. It also reminds me of those times way back during that summer when I was 12. In some ways the last time I felt like I belonged somewhere and with other people. A memory I will cherish for the rest of my life and something that watching 'Stand By Me' takes me back to.

2 comments:

Alicia Gregoire said...

I haven't seen this movie in a loooong time. I should rent it.

Gory said...

Definitely worth seeing again.