Friday, December 25, 2009

Movie Of The Day - It's A Wonderful Life

IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE (1946) d: Frank Capra


A true classic that has gotten a little bit of a bad rap on certain levels. It's chalked up as cheesy or even dismissed because there was a time when it was played endlessly on PBS that it became almost nauseating. Luckily that was a long time ago and hopefully people will rediscover the film. It's considered a classic but it's sentimentality and its embracing of the goodness of people can be cheesy in the modern cynical times. I hope not because the idea that we do make an impact on people and our lives do matter is an important thing to share. It should also be one that is shared with all the joy and heartfelt emotion that goes with it. And sometimes old fashioned cheesy is exactly what is needed. Put your modern sense of cynicism away and just enjoy a good movie and appreciate the things you have. And remember no one is a failure who has friends.



Bonus clip. "What do you want? You want the moon? Just say the word and I'll throw a lasso around it and pull it down."


4 comments:

Jerry said...

I still have never seen this. I planned for this to be the year but I couldn't find the blu ray anywhere. I waited too long to order it and the only place its being played is NBC. I don't want commercials. :(

Jerry said...

Well it turned out that my mom had it the dvd and I never even thought to ask. First time seeing it and I loved it. It was the perfect way to cap off Christmas Day.

Gory said...

So glad you got to see it and that you liked it.

Enbrethiliel said...

+JMJ+

I've only seen this once. I wish they had played It's a Wonderful Life over and over on TV when I was young, instead of Santa Claus.