Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Movie Of The Day - Inglourious Basterds

INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS (2009) d: Quentin Tarantino



I still remember back in 1994 Quentin Tarantino talking about this film on the Charlie Rose show. At the time that was going to be his next film. Then came three other films. Although I'm glad he didn't make it right away. I think the older Tarantino made a much better film than the younger one would have considering the subject matter. It has his style and exploitation feel but there is a level of maturity underneath that gives the film a little more weight.

Now I've loved Tarantino since I saw 'Reservoir Dogs' back in 1993. I was so impressed by it I would tell anyone I could about it. I was a freshman in film school at the time so while some people were interested most of them were mainly asking, "Who?" Then came 'True Romance' and I told people they should go see it since he wrote it. Once again I got a lot of, "Who?" Fair enough. Then came 'Pulp Fiction' and I told everyone to go see it when it came out. Finally they all got excited about Tarantino. Of course I was ignored for a good year and a half but that's besides the point.

Tarantino stands on his own and I have loved everything he's done. Although I do have mixed feelings to his 'Grindhouse' entry 'Death Proof'. I feel the first half is utter genius and pure him. The second half, to me, seems like someone trying to do Tarantino. I will say I was a little worried that maybe even he had fallen a bit. Well, I can keep my trap shut because the man has lost nothing. He crafted an absolutely amazing film with 'Inglourious Basterds'. A remake in name only of the Enzo Castellari film 'The Inglorious Bastards' it has stood the second time test. When I saw it the first time I loved it but before I go too overboard I always want to make sure a film is good the second time when you know what is happening. It does. Much like his other films there is much to enjoy on repeated viewings. While this film is not so much about quoting memorable lines it is just great storytelling. Plus it has the mark of a master. It is crafted so well the way the scenes play out. If Tarantino had any kinks to work out then they have been worked out because this is a precise film. And his use of other music works well here too including the great way he uses a certain David Bowie song. One piece of music which struck me though is one I absolutely adore. It's from a movie I just love called 'Revolver' directed by Sergio Sollima. The music was done by the great Ennio Morricone. One piece from the film which I love which I wanted to use in a movie one day myself is a very moving piece. I won't say specifically but it's used late in the movie. So hearing the music for me gave me a bit of an emotional response on top of the scene itself.

If you've been waiting to see this film then I recommend doing it now. If you've seen it already then I recommend watching it again. Now I just need to wait for his next film.


2 comments:

Jerry said...

I'll be picking this up over the weekend. I loved it and can't wait to watch it again.

Alicia Gregoire said...

I haven't seen it yet, but it's on the list. Maybe we'll do it next week. Thanks for the review!