Friday, December 4, 2009

Movie Of The Day - Back To The Future

Back To The Future (1985) d: Robert Zemeckis


It is so weird for me to say, maybe I'm just getting old, but they definitely don't make them like they used to. I haven't watched 'Back To The Future' in years and I forgot how enjoyable it is. It's funny and exciting and it has such a great story. When it ends you have such a big smile on your face. It's sad because I can't remember the last time I saw a recent film that made me feel this way. They just don't make fun movies anymore. They make plenty of mindless entertainment but not fun movies. The cynicalness of the 90's never left which is a shame. It's like being perpetually trapped as a sophomore in college. Getting back to the movie, this is one of those cases where all of the ingredients came together. The script, the director, the actors, the great score. It's one of those where, as a filmmaker, you always hope to have that chance at least once to experience that. Where the movie you set out to make is actually happening. So many times you settle but on those rare oocasions when it actually does happen it is very evident in the film itself. I have been feeling a little down lately and this put a much needed smile on my face. Although it is sad that either I'm too nostalgic, or possibly just too old, to actually have to say, they don't make them like they used to.


4 comments:

Jerry said...

One of my favorites. I've been wanting to rewatch the series recently myself. I love all three of them.

Andre Dumas said...

Best. Movie. Ever.

JLG said...

They really don't make movies like this anymore. I can't remember the last family movie I saw that didn't have some sharp tongued sarcastic brat as the lead or star Ice Cube.

William Malmborg said...

I agree, this is one of the best movies ever -- one that I will drop everything to watch when on TV and which I always brought with when working a security detail to view on my laptop.

Sadly, I hear rumors of a remake, the reason being that kids today can't identify with it. Let’s just pray that it doesn’t get off the ground.