Saturday, January 8, 2011

Movie Of The Day - El Mariachi

EL MARIACHI (1992) d: Robert Rodriguez


I remember hearing about Robert Rodriguez way back when. I was a freshman in film school and this guy made a film for $7,000. Sure he did. I was a cynical know it all film student. Or so I thought I knew it all. Turns out I didn't know a damn thing. And honestly, neither did a lot of my teachers but that's a post for another time. I eventually saw 'El Mariachi' and was completely impressed by it. It's not just a good film for $7,000. It's a good film in general. The story of a mariachi seeking out work comes across this small Mexican city where he is mistaken for a local who has a guitar case full of weapons and he's taking revenge on the local gangster who ripped him off. Rodriguez not only directed the film but he wrote, shot, edited, did sound, basically everything on his own. When it came time for me to get to graduating from film school I realized I didn't know what to do. This was before the digital revolution so making a movie was not really an option. But then Robert Rodriguez released a book called "Rebel Without A Crew" on how he made 'El Mariachi' for not only so little money but also pretty much no crew. This was such an inspiration that it made me want to do the same thing. I won't get into my experiences but the film is such an entertaining film and one that continues to inspire me to this very day. So much so that I made a feature with very little money and no crew. In fact, I'm about to do it again.


No comments: